Saturday, April 17, 2010

Equations Evaluation

Mr. Coffee had given our AP chem class two packets to "review" over the break, and he had said that they would be on stoichiometry, since that was what we would be tested on the Wednesday we were due to come back. I thought that stoich would be fun to tackle (at least not frustrating), because I was fairly good at it, so I took out the packets today and took a look.

Turns out they're not even remotely related to stoichiometry. Both of them were balancing equations. I didn't do so well with my equations (so many rules), so I spent most of today finishing the two packets.

Out of a grand total of 56 questions, I answered 35 correctly. That's a D, for anyone who's interested. (However, with the AP curve, I am 5% away from a 5.)

Ouch. I am so glad that the test isn't entirely equations-based.

Here are some notes I took in the margins (as you can probably tell by now, I'm bored and have nothing else better to say):

H- + H+ = H2

CuO DOES NOT EXIST (It actually does, but not in any of the equations I tried.)!! Use Cu + O2

ZnO EXISTS and is preferred over Zn + O2 (In this case.)

I2 is a solid, not a gas.

WHAT IS THIS??? (Referring to diamminesilver(I) chloride.)

Well then. I still don't know how much of this I have remembered, but I am glad that I can now look at something like "potassium permanganate in solution" and instantly know that I won't be dealing with the potassium. That's quite an improvement over my earlier days of writing out the complete equation before cancelling out spectator ions.

Maybe I should go back to planning the last stretch in Santiago, plotting out basic routes in Japan, or just doing my English homework (we have to take notes on Huck Finn, one sheet per chapter, and there are forty chapters in total. Not fun.)

This may also be one of my shortest posts ever. Or not.

2 rants:

Gretchen said...

wow. you're already on huck finn? nice.

and from everything i hear about chem, i'm not sure i reallly want to take it, even with mr.coffee. oh well, i kinda have to. i don't have any other AP sciences to take (and APES doesn't count). but i laughed when reading your comments so i check the funny box.

and in comparison, your posts are always pretty long!

Ginny said...

Chem is not that bad. The equations unit is definitely misleading. You begin the year by learning equations, which is pretty hard (lots of memorizing, which I'm awful at), but most everything after that is so different. And then by the middle of the year you get to something like thermochem, which is so ridiculously easy you can do the problems just by cancelling out units without any thinking.

(Of course, there's always the acid/base unit, but that's special and doesn't really count.)

Post a Comment

 

(c)2010-2011 Of Nephria and Pie. Based in Wordpress by wpthemesfree Created by Templates for Blogger