Sunday, August 1, 2010

PPS: Perhaps This Is The (Perfect) One

[The much awaited "proof post" about my immense, often irrational love for Penn.]

Continuing on my analogy on love: I think I've mentioned this before plenty of times, but I can't say it enough. Penn is my first love. I come from a college-conscious family; my parents come from an era in China where college graduates were considered "the only future," and the government fully funded all such education. My second aunt on my dad's side bought books on the Chinese "Harvard Girl," hoping my cousin would follow in those footsteps. If you asked any of my family's friends about which colleges were "good," they would answer, in a similar order, "MIT, Stanford, UC Berkeley, Caltech, Cornell." Harvard. Yale. Big names. I knew about the prestige, but not much about where I really wanted to attend.

Falling in love with Penn is much similar to the usual way I fall in love. Something catches my curiosity, and slowly, I become so entangled in its mysteries that I find myself irrevocably in love. Maybe it's not love, but rather an enormous interest, bordering on obsession, but I like to compare it to love.

(Ironically, Owen's going to Penn.)

The first time I'd heard of Penn was in a newspaper crossword. The clue was, "How do University of Pennsylvania students usually refer to their school?" The word was five letters long, so I guessed, "UPenn."

It was the answer, but it wasn't true, although I did not learn that until much later.

Sometime after that, I had the notion that I wanted to learn more about this school. It was in Philadelphia, one of my favorite cities (aside from Toronto, obviously, and Boston, and Chicago), and I was definitely a city girl. My parents talked with me about business, about a math career, and they brought up Wharton. It was like Penn was the perfect, perfect school.

Well, my parents and I went on a one-day trip to Philadelphia some Saturday prior (more like, an eternity ago), and our main destination was, of course, Penn. My first impression of Penn (physically) and of University City was the huge metal bridge with Penn's crest printed upon it. That, and it was raining. It was raining so hard that when I got out of the car, there was a small, gushing river between the edge of the car and the curb.

The actual information session I did not remember much. I do remember it was in a huge room, and there were many, many people, from all sorts of places. Some aspects of the admissions process was talked about, mostly on what Penn was looking for, and I remember lots of mention on the dual-degree programs.

The tour, on the other hand, was quite a spectacular event. It was still raining, and we went around with umbrellas, but I could catch glimpses of lush green leaves and beautiful, castle-like buildings. It was not as exquisite as Princeton, but it had its own charm. And when I walked into Huntsman Hall, I think I really stopped breathing for a moment.

I think, at that moment, I decided that I would start wooing Penn with my love letters (i.e. application material).

We went to downtown Philadelphia next, where my mom said I would have no problem finding adequate Chinese food in case I craved some, and we saw the Liberty Bell. We also saw numerous Chinese school-kids (elementary to middle school) who were here as part of a summer camp program.

The rain had cleared up by now, and we set out for Swarthmore, as suggested by Reese. I do not understand why Reese is so excited by the possibility (which, by the way, is very unlikely, if anything) that I may be attending Swat. We drove behind a trolley car for half an hour, into what was definitely a small town, and there was Swarthmore, tucked away.

I realize most of my readers have never been to Swarthmore. If I had only two words to describe it, I would use "botanical paradise." Literally, the campus is a huge garden, from Parrish Beach to all the labeled plants (and there are a lot of them) to the outdoor amphitheater that's cloaked in an ambient green. It's amazing. I understand why Reese likes it so much.

Now if they only were less stingy about their financial aid to foreign students. I guess that's the price I've got to pay for an outdoor wonderland like Swat (come to think of it, Stanford, which is also gorgeous, is also not need-blind toward foreign students).

When the mosquitoes started biting, we left. My parents wanted to see Princeton anyway, so we went there next. I've talked about Princeton before, in which I said Princeton was absolutely stunning and perfect. It still is. I love Penn, but I've got to be honest. Princeton is amazing. Its buildings, its campus, everything. There is a sense of wholeness at Princeton, a majestic entity bestowed upon this world.

Well. Anyway. Time for my summaries of the three schools, then.

Penn:

Despite the rain, we got to see a lot, including above decent architecture (better than Dartmouth, Cornell, and Columbia, on par with inner-Brown and parts of Yale, which I will need to talk about later), great Locust Walk, and a small enough campus that I won't worry too much about transportation (although if you're talking small you can't beat Columbia). Close to downtown, which by the way is gorgeous—even NYC's got nothing on Philly. Also close to not-so-decent areas (run-down houses), and of course my parents are concerned about campus safety.

Swarthmore:

Half an hour away from Philly, it's relaxing and has a soothing beauty to it. Buildings—average. Admissions office is the only great building. Decent size, lots of cool plants, and bunnies! Always a plus. When you leave campus, there's a plaza right outside, so it's not too inconvenient. Not for me, though. I hate isolated places, and although Swat's not as bad as, say, Middlebury, it's still too quiet for me.

Princeton:

I've done this before, so I won't do it again, except to say that we also went to this fountain place (on the engineering and more science/tech side of campus) and it's really nice. The buildings are more modern, not as nice as the main part of campus, but it's integrated nicely, unlike Cornell (that place is a planning disaster).

As for my perfect school?

I think you know already.

6 rants:

Anonymous said...

While all of this is true... don't forget that Swarthmore is on the same SEPTA train line as Penn... and when the Admissions folks claim it takes 20-25 minutes to get into central Philly, they mean it. Also don't forget the whole there-are-only-1,500-students-thing about Swarthmore... smaller school = more overlap in social networks = more friends.

(Can you tell I'm a Swattie myself?)

Ginny said...

I guess I go by gut reactions a lot, and I did visit in the summer, so a lot of students weren't there (I went to Yale on the Labor Day weekend and it was packed with people, unlike when I'd gone during winter break), but I felt that Swarthmore wasn't what I was looking for. It's less of a small school/big school thing, and I'm not even really sure what it is at times.

Although, how is Swarthmore like beyond the physical aspects?

Anonymous said...

Well, of course, and no matter how a school looks on paper, there's always an impossible-to-pin-down feeling that you get from a school, and that's important too.

What are you looking to study? Academically, Swarthmore is a peer of all of the schools you've mentioned, of course, though it does have some unique things going for it (like the Honors program--optional more-intense work in junior/senior years which allows high-level focus on a very specific topic). I could talk about a lot of things, but you can just read the website.

What's more than that, and the reason I chose Swat, is that the people here (students, profs, janitors, everyone) are just... nice. Amidst all the brilliance, intensity, and general zaniness (we sure have enough of that going around), there's a real politeness and down-to-earth friendliness and humanity that keeps me getting up in the morning.

Ginny said...

I am probably going to study math, and biology, and maybe economics (although I am not so sure about this one). For me, the academics (beyond a certain point) doesn't matter as much because all of these schools are really good academically and I don't think I can really know more without having experienced it.

I guess I need to schedule my college visits during the school year. I've been mostly visiting in the summer, and I hadn't known how much I was missing until a while back.

Chris Geissler said...

While this is true about academics, keep in mind that different departments have different personalities or "slants"--Swarthmore's Biology department was one of the reasons I came here (I was quite into said subject in high school, although my interest has waned over time). It's a remarkably large and well-balanced program for a school our size; many small schools/departments will try to focus on what's "hot" in biology, and so will wind up with a bunch of biochemists and other cell/molecular level people--Swarthmore has them too, but also a couple of ecologists, an ornithologist, paleobiologist, etc.

But yes, actually meeting folks is really important when doing visits, but visits can be tought to schedule and it's good to do what you can. Good luck with the rest of high school, applications, and all that. In the end, you're going to go to college and it will be awesome.

(Feel free to contact me about Swarthmore or college things in general: madskeptic42@gmail.com)

Ginny said...

I am more interested in the chemical part of biology, so I suppose it wouldn't matter too much for me, but it is interesting that Swarthmore has a lot of other biologists as well. Maybe I'll change my mind once I see what it's really about.

Thanks for all the advice and the luck!

Post a Comment

 

(c)2010-2011 Of Nephria and Pie. Based in Wordpress by wpthemesfree Created by Templates for Blogger