Friday, October 15, 2010

Turn On The Sun, Please

[Title concept from Pickles author/artist Brian Crane.]

Mrs. Leon complained today that I always leave before class officially starts, so I promised her I'll stay for third lunch next week (hopefully, but as previously mentioned, I'm not too good with promises). Maybe I will be there in time for sonnet readings. I don't know what else I could do with an extra half-hour of English class, especially since I'm probably not reading the same things (although my class is starting Brave New World, which Mrs. Leon's class has already read).

(Additionally, Clay told me he read nearly 150 pages of BNW in around two hours. Since it's, so far, taken me five days, more or less, I will probably need to dedicate a lot more time to reading. I'm past the first part—if there are any more, I don't know yet—of the everyone-is-talking-at-once pages right now.)

Other things of interest: I went over 10 pages of metabolism bio notes last night at around midnight (so also technically this morning), and have now come up with a really condensed, analogy-ladened version of metabolism, which I will add to the end of this, because I think I want to make more of these to prepare for the midterms (Mme Pottery mentioned midterms today, which set off a wave of panic).

Also, despite the cold, and the wind, and the general misery, there was frisbee today. There is another girl now, and she is pretty good at frisbee too (a great catcher, even in this wind). I ran around too (which almost never happens, mind you), but then my stomach started hurting, so I sat down and borrowed both Yuma's and Cameron's jackets (I wanted to borrow Tobey's too, since he wasn't wearing it at first, but by the time I'd gotten around to being too cold he was cold too and took the jacket) and tried to read more books (especially my LitEx book, which I have barely started).

Then a golden retriever came along and proceeded to sit on me despite my protests. Someone called out, "Be careful, he's a pervert," and with that the dog turned around and tackled me to the ground.

On that note, here is my version of metabolism:
  • metabolism = energy vs. matter
  • pathways: catapults tear down for boten anna to build up
  • enzymes just float around for fun
  • laws of thermodynamics: 
    • energy is immortal; 
    • entropy reproduces like bunnies
  • ⌂G (free energy) = ♥
    • likes to roll down hills and pull on wheelbarrows full of stuff
    • must push it to make it go up hills
    • said hill is a step-ladder hill
  • In this analogy, "guy" is the substrate:
    • guy wants to go over hill
      • hill too high, guy too lazy, doesn't happen
      • enzyme bulldozes hill, guy goes over
    • enzyme only falls in love with one guy & his clones
      • enzyme thus only bulldozes hills for guy & his clones
    • when going over hill, enzyme and guy link hands
      • their hands fit together like gloves
      • at the top, enzyme pulls hard in excitement
      • guy's arm falls off
      • new products = guy + arm!
      • then enzyme says, "eww, wtf?"
      • enzyme ditches guy for clone #1209841
    • other little-known facts of enzyme-drama:
      • if guy is too hot/cold or brings H2SO4/HCl/HNO3, he gets slapped, enzyme says, "Get lost," and no hills are bulldozed
      • cofactors/coenzymes: the bulldozer (the machine)
      • inhibitors: the 3rd wheel
        • either steals enzyme away (competitive)
        • or kills enzyme and laughs maniacally (noncompetitive)
      • allosteric site: door for 3rd wheel, except 3rd wheel is guy's arm
        • arm can help or hurt
        • too many arms will distract enzyme and result in no more bulldozed hills
      • cooperativity: guy1 holds hands = guy2 can hold hands too
    • many enzymes + many hills + many bulldozers = metabolic pathway (multi-enzyme complex)
  • all these pathways come together to form . . . THE METABOLISM WORLD.
  • dun dun dunnn...
This also effectively supports my argument that love/relationships can be a metaphor for anything.

    2 rants:

    Gretchen said...

    Brave New World is actually a pretty fast read. Personally, I really loved the book. It even works for my litx. All the better!

    Ginny said...

    Still. It took me a couple hours today to read to p.145, and I'd already read 70 pages yesterday. I think it's because every time they mention something like the decant system or whatnot I keep on trying to figure out how it'd work relative to modern science.

    Post a Comment

     

    (c)2010-2011 Of Nephria and Pie. Based in Wordpress by wpthemesfree Created by Templates for Blogger