Friday, September 3, 2010

I know what valence means, thank you for asking

Okay, so I know that a significant portion of my class are sophomores who have never taken chem before, or have only started taking chem. I think it's a huge loss for them, but, alas, our school's system is such that we learn biology first, then chemistry, then physics, which makes little sense because you use physics to explain chemistry, and you use chemistry to explain biology.

Anyway. I acknowledge that. I know most people don't have "metal oxide + water = base" in their heads, and the majority of my class probably does not know that all nitrates are soluble, but hydroxides are only soluble with alkali metals and the heavier alkaloid metals. I don't expect them to know that. I didn't even know that until last year.

Still. To be talking about "Na + Cl = NaCl!" is, well, really mind-blowing. In the bad way. Every single science textbook that I have ever, ever read (except for the physics one) mentions sodium and chloride, and, guess what? Sodium chloride. Every single one. I really don't think it's that hard to realize that, whoa, a metal and a gas comes together to form the stuff you over-sprinkle on your food.

I guess I am overreacting a little, because I spent 45 minutes doing absolutely nothing (well, okay, not nothing, I did draw a few pictures) while everyone else talked about basic chemistry. We are having a test on this thing in a week. Carbon, oxygen, hydrogen, nitrogen (not in that order, of course). Trace elements. And a good dose of electron shells and elements and compounds and I'll bet organic chemistry.

FON, FON, FON. (It's a chem joke Mr. Turkey shared with us one day.)

In physics, Mrs. Cumulonimbus (back from sending her daughter off to college) said we would be learning basic calculus next week, which means derivatives, integrals, and u-sub. The last one got quite a few groans (well, there were groans for all of them from the people who were just starting to take calc). I always forget if u-sub is the LIPET one, or if it's the other one. They both involve u's.

But the physics calculus, so far, is easy. I've already finished the utexas due next Friday, and it's basic stuff. Nothing harder than integration of polynomials. I'm a little sad that we're not going to see shells, but I can live with that. Maybe.

After that, in English, Cammie and I discussed our Creeper Lists, among other things, like how I am horrible at music (I'm tone-deaf and therefore I can never tell if I'm playing something right or not when I'm playing harmony—which is almost always with the bass—unless someone kindly tells me). I would mention more, but this would involve adding people to labels and I would rather not do that.

So. Instead. I shall end this here and get back to my French and econ homework, and perhaps figure out how to approach the subject of my many, many clubs. I can't believe it's Friday already. (I also can't believe I missed yesterday's Project Runway review. I must be really out of it.)

7 rants:

Gretchen said...

No, LIPET is for integration by parts to pick which one is u. The calculus in physics doesn't get hard per say, just annoying. Especially with E&M, you get a lot of variables that make it look messy (a lot are constants though).

Ginny said...

Ah. So u-sub is the other one. Right. Then it should be easier (hopefully). I think E&M in general is bad. It was definitely one of those topics last year that half the class did miserable in.

(And to think my dad wants me to be an electrical engineer.)

Tea said...

As someone who doesn't quite get chemistry yet, but still considers herself to be a relatively intelligent individual--don't fault me for needing the kind of assistance described herein.

Ginny said...

I guess I just got really frustrated because it was my fourth time sitting through "what is matter?" Although, I don't quite get biology yet, so I suppose after the first few weeks I'll start panicking.

Oh, and, Tea, I checked out some sample science bowl questions, and they look really fun (although it does get kind of hard at the end). Also, do you know anyone who knows a lot about earth science and astronomy?

Tea said...

No, although I could, in theory, take an astronomy course this fall, although I was kind of hoping to take organic chemistry (class with COOKIES!!!! =D )

Julie said...

I know astronomy!

Ginny said...

There are cookies in organic chem? I want to take that class.

Yay astronomy! I only know the north star (I can't really see the stars anyway).

Post a Comment

 

(c)2010-2011 Of Nephria and Pie. Based in Wordpress by wpthemesfree Created by Templates for Blogger