Thursday, November 18, 2010

Obviously, It's The Mustache

This is why Ophelia loves Hamlet so much, even though she knows Hamlet, as the prince of Denmark, will most likely marry one of his cousins instead of a "commoner" like her (she can be an aristocrat to some extent, though, as her father serves the King).

Because Hamlet has such a hot mustache.

At least that was the reason Mr. Littney gave us, as we were watching our version of Hamlet today (it's apparently the best DVD version that adheres to the text, although I am not sure which version it is except that the guy who plays Hamlet also plays Iago in the version of Othello that I watched last year).

I have to say, the whole premise of Hamlet requires a lot of willingness to accept otherwise rather ridiculous events. It does make the play rather humorous, and maybe Shakespeare was aiming for that, but honestly I would never believe it if someone told me, "Hey, that ghost won't talk to me, but he'll probably talk to the other guy."

Also, I saw way too many sex scenes from the movie for my comfort. Way too many.

I still love my English class. We had bagels yesterday, thanks to the wonderful efforts of Tabby and someone else (I forgot who). Food is always good, especially in the mornings, and especially bagels.

Plus, talking about whether Gertrude is an idiot or a whore is always fascinating (I think that she would have had no choice in the matter of her marriage, especially if she wanted to stay alive, although it can be argued that if she hated her situation she could have gotten Hamlet to just kill the king, so I don't know).

I would love to talk about my English class all day, but I did promise I will be productive, so I shall have to go back to work.

2 rants:

Gretchen said...

Shakespeare wouldn't win a Greek theater contest.

Have you seen the modern version of Romeo and Juliet with Leonardo DiCaprio? I hate it.

Ginny said...

I thought, "What on earth is this?" when they pulled out guns and showed that the brand was called "sword" to fit the play.

Post a Comment

 

(c)2010-2011 Of Nephria and Pie. Based in Wordpress by wpthemesfree Created by Templates for Blogger